Saturday 16 April 2016

Dealing with a break-up...

So recently I just got out of a 2 year relationship. I'm actually only 19 and this was my first ever serious relationship. Long story short, it sucks. If you haven't experienced a break up yet, there is no point in sugar coating it and saying it's easy, because it's not. But, there are so many ways you can deal with it. I've written a few examples below of things that have helped me out recently!

Spend time with your friends
I have realised that I have the most supportive friends in the world. Many people lose sight of their friends when they have a partner, and I myself am guilty of this. If I'm feeling all doom and gloom one night they will tell me 'NOPE. WE'RE GOING OUT!' I know you won't want to go out, partying or even going to the shops can be struggle, but it will make you feel so much better in the long run. Although moping about your house watching Netflix can be comforting at first, you can't do it forever! Laughter really is the best medicine.

Throw yourself into work
I'm currently at uni but also work part-time, therefore I have dedicated sooo much more time to my uni work and my job. When you're in a relationship, you can get blinded by love and just want to spend as much time with them as possible. I actually find myself enjoying writing up coursework and reading text books (!). My work has already been improving and this makes me feel better about myself too which is great.

Read a new book
Ok, so I know not everyone is into reading... But picking up a good book and engrossing yourself in it is such a great distraction. It keeps your mind busy and passes time especially if you find yourself with a lot of spare time that you would once have spent with your partner. If reading is your thing, then a TV series or 'movie marathon' would work all the same.

Take up a new hobby or volunteering
Taking up a new hobby can be daunting, especially if you've lost a lot of your confidence through a break up. But it's a great way to make friends, and if it's a sport, to keep fit! Again, it's another distraction which is what you will want especially if it is a recent break up. I know what it's like to have your mind on that one person 24/7, not being able to eat or sleep - but it does get easier. Also one thing I have decided to do recently is volunteer work. I know volunteering can be timely and to some people it's not for them if they aren't getting paid. But it will look great on your CV and it's another great way to meet people!

Learn to move on
This is the hardest way to deal with a break-up, but sadly it's inevitable. A lot of people cling onto the past (me), and don't want to move on. You might feel that the door is always open for you to go back there. Most likely it is not, but even if you have that chance, ask yourself, will things be different from last time? Am I just lonely and craving companionship? And this can be a vicious cycle in not allowing yourself to move on.


Hopefully these ideas have inspired you and help you to deal with your break-up. We all deal with things in different ways, and the way I deal with things could be completely different from the way someone else has, or is. All I can say is, it does get easier with time, even if it doesn't seem like it will.. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment